- 3 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 6 medium ears of corn)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lime (zest half and squeeze the whole lime for juice)
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 12 ounces crabmeat, picked over
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups crispy corn tortilla strips
- 1 Melt butter or heat olive oil in a large, heavy pot. Stir in onion, garlic and jalapeño, and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, for about 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in corn and cook until the corn is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add broth, chili powder and simmer until corn is tender, about 15 minutes. Lightly season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 Transfer half of the soup into a blender or food processor, and puree until almost smooth. Add the blended soup back into the unblended soup, and stir to combine.
- 3 Add the lime juice and zest, crabmeat and cilantro to the soup and bring to a boil. Serve hot and garnish with tortilla strips.