This cake is a lovely (and edible!) holiday centerpiece. Your guests will be impressed and pleased with the taste and presentation.
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 549 Fat, Total: 27g Carbohydrates, Total: 67g
Cholesterol: 122mg Sodium: 152mg Protein: 9g
Fiber: 4g % Cal. from Fat: 44% % Cal. from Carbs: 49%
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Madeira
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 Combine cranberries, raisins and apricots in medium bowl. Add 1/3 cup Madeira. Cover and let stand until Madeira is absorbed, stirring occasionally, overnight.
- 2 Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- 3 Butter and flour star cake pan. Using electric mixer, Beat butter with both sugars until well mixed. Beat in eggs, vanilla and orange peel. Mix in salt and nutmeg. Gradually mix in flour. Add fruit mixture to batter and mix just to combine. Carefully stir in nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan, smoothing evenly.
- 4 Bake until cake is golden brown and tester into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and brush cake with remaining 2 tablespoons Madeira. Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- 5 Cake can be made 1 week ahead. Wrap in plastic and store at cool room temperature.