If you’ve ever wanted to make homemade caramel, but avoided it because you thought it too complex, Culinary Correspondent Laura Kurella shows you how easy it can be. – Editor
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper then spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2 In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and butter. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, and then allow to boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- 3 Remove from heat; stir in milk, reduce heat to medium-low, then insert a candy thermometer and allow to simmer until mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- 4 Remove from heat; stir in vanilla (or other flavoring) then pour into prepared pan and chill until firm, about an hour.
- 5 Use parchment paper to lift candy out of pan then cut into desired size pieces. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twisting ends, if desired.