Looking for a great snack for your kids, or a healthy on-the-go breakfast? These squares have a crispy nut base, accentuated with fresh fruit, and best of all, a low amount of refined table sugar.
We love the fact that any berry or orchard fruit you crave will taste delicious in this recipe, so feel free to substitute!
For The Crispy Fruit and Nut Squares
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 lb packaged phyllo dough, thawed
- 3 cups crushed macadamia nuts
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 peaches
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled
- 3/4 cup apple jelly, heated and whisked smooth
- 1 Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Unravel phyllo dough carefully and lift off of plastic packaging and place on greased pan.
- 2 In a bowl, stir together crushed nuts, egg whites, and sugar well. Evenly spread over dough.
- 3 Peel, pit, and thinly wedge peaches. Decoratively layer on top of nut mixture. Slice strawberries and layer over peaches.
- 4 Drizzle whisked jelly evenly over the top and bake 20-25 minutes, or until the phyllo dough is well browned and the fruit is tender with the strawberries beginning to darken around the edges.
- 5 Remove from oven to cool completely. Slice into desired sizes and serve.