These crunchy and smooth peppermint patties are killer, but just a tad tricky.
Pay attention to the directions very carefully and you will end up with some smooth treats!
For more New England-style recipes from The Yankee Chef, click here!
- 7 ounces (about 2 cups) marshmallow creme
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 cup your favorite flavored cereal, crushed and divided
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 Place the marshmallow cream, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, half the crushed cereal and extract in a bowl. Using an electric or hand-held mixer, beat until smooth. The mixture should be very thick and not pourable. If needed, add remaining powdered sugar.
- 2 Place bowl in the refrigerator for at least a half hour to thicken completely. When ready, place a large piece of film wrap on a platter, baking pan or something that will fit into your freezer. Divide the film wrap in two if you are using 2 platters.
- 3 Working quickly, remove the marshmallow mixture from the refrigerator and begin pinching off desired sized balls(I used about 2 tablespoon measures) and roll into a ball with your palms. You will need to slightly moisten your hands. Flatten each to about 1/2-inch in thickness and place these discs on the film wrap and freeze for at least a half hour to completely firm.
- 4 When ready, melt chocolate chips in a bowl with oil for 1 minute in the microwave. Remove and stir until smooth. Put another piece of film wrap on a plate; set aside.
- 5 Remove only a few mint patties from the freezer at a time and dip into melted chocolate, flipping each over using 2 forks. Lift to drain excess chocolate from each and place on the new, film wrap-lined plate. Continue with just half the remaining patties. Sprinkle thetops with remainder of crushed cereal and place in refrigerator.
- 6 Continue this process with other half of the patties, microwaving the chocolate for a few seconds because it will cool and thicken at this point.
- 7 Refrigerate until chocolate has hardened. These peppermint patties can be left at room temperature without melting.