This lovely salad is typical of the southern Mediterranean. It can be served as a side dish or an appetizer and is also delicious tossed with an herb vinaigrette in place of the yogurt dressing. A few slices of onion are an interesting addition, and a bed of greens makes an attractive presentation.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.com
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library Series, Salads, by Emanuela Stucchi Prinetti (Time-Life Books, 1993).
- 4 cucumbers
- Salt, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Peel and thinly slice the cucumbers, then place the slices on a flat plate. Salt lightly and tilt the plate so that excess water will drain off easily. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- 2 Pass the garlic cloves through a garlic press into a small bowl. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, dill, salt and white pepper and stir until well mixed. Add the olive oil and stir vigorously until blended.
- 3 Place the drained cucumber slices in a salad bowl, pour the dressing over the top and toss gently. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow the flavors to marry, then serve.