Cucumber Sandwich Recipe – Classic cucumber sandwiches are a fun and healthy way to involve kids in the kitchen.
Recipe courtesy of Pink Princess Cookbook by Barbara Beery
*Ask an adult to help you get these. Be sure to check with your adult assistant to make sure the flower petals are edible and pesticide-free. Some edible flower petals are carnations, gardenia, impatiens, pansies, geraniums, roses, snapdragons and violets.
- 1 English (or seedless) cucumber
- 8 slices whole wheat or rye bread
- 2 tablespoons softened butter or mayonnaise
- Seasoned salt and pepper to taste
- Cherry tomatoes cut into pieces for garnish (optional)
- Edible flower petals* (optional) or mint sprigs
- 1 Thinly slice 8 slices of cucumber and blot dry with a paper towel. Save the rest for another use.
- 2 Cut crust of bread, and then cut out bread into assorted shapes with 2-inch cookie cutters.
- 3 Spread each little cut-out with butter or mayonnaise. Lay cucumber slices on top.
- 4 Season with seasoning salt and pepper, and garnish with a cherry tomato slice, edible flower petals or mint springs if desired.