This recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.
Bake and assemble our bunny with basket cake, then decorate as instructed below to create an impressive dessert for your Easter celebration.
- 1 bunny with basket cake, assembled according to recipe instructions (see related "Williams Sonoma" recipe)
- For the simple buttercream: 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 7 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 7 tablespoons milk, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Green food coloring as needed
- Pink food coloring as needed
- Small colored jelly beans for decorating
- 1 Set the cake upright on a cake stand or platter.
- 2 To make the simple buttercream, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, add the confectioners' sugar and beat until combined. Increase the speed to medium, add the 7 tablespoons milk, the vanilla and salt, and beat until creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes. If the frosting is too dry, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks.
- 3 If not using the buttercream immediately, cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature and beat again with an electric mixer before using.
- 4 Transfer 3/4 cup of the buttercream to a small bowl and tint with green food coloring. Transfer 3/4 cup of the buttercream to another small bowl and tint with pink food coloring.
- 5 Fill a pastry bag with the green buttercream and attach a small round tip. (Before piping buttercream onto the cake, first pipe some onto a piece of parchment paper to ensure the buttercream has the proper shape and consistency.) Starting at the base of the leg area, pipe 4 to 6 stems up to the middle of the leg area. Switch to a medium leaf tip. Pipe small leaves at the base of the foot and leg areas, including a few small leaves on the stems that you just piped. Pipe short leaves around the top of the basket in an overlapping pattern.
- 6 Using a small offset spatula, spread a smooth layer of the pink buttercream over the interior of the bunny's ears. Fill a clean pastry bag with the remaining pink buttercream and attach a small star tip. Pipe small buttercream stars into the detail of the basket. Pipe 2 or 3 stars at the tops of the green stems, pressing out more buttercream to create larger flowers.
- 7 Fill a clean pastry bag with white buttercream and attach a medium star tip. Pipe small stars around the bunny's neck.
- 8 Switch to a small round plain tip. Pipe 3 or 4 whiskers on each side of the bunny's nose. Pipe a thin line around each of the bunny's ears. Pipe a single dot over the eyes and nose.
- 9 Cut a pink jelly bean in half and place one half over the nose. Cut a blue or green jelly bean in half and place one half over each eye. Cut several more jelly beans in half and place them alternately over the stars around the neck. Fill the basket with jelly beans and place more around the base of the bunny.