This New England-style recipe is considered Yankee because it has the great tang of cranberries and another layer of sweet apples mixed into the dates.
I prefer using apple cider here but juice is perfectly fine. These date-filled cookies are taken to a whole other level, you can’t go much higher than these deliciously crisp, stuffed sugar cookies.
For the Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Filling
- 1 tart, firm apple
- 2 cups chopped, pitted dates
- 6 oz (1 cup) dried cranberries
- 2 cups apple juice or cider
For The Filling
- 1 Peel, core and dice apples and place in a medium saucepan with dates, cranberries, and juice.
- 2 Cook over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, or until thickened, stirring a few times.
- 3 Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Cool in refrigerator, uncovered, until ready to use. Meanwhile, make the sugar cookies.
For the Cookies
- 1 In a bowl, blend flour and baking soda; set aside.
- 2 In another bowl, beat the sugar with the butter until smooth and creamy, using an electric mixer.
- 3 Add egg and vanilla, continuing to beat until smooth again.
- 4 Add flour mixture, reduce speed to low, and beat until dry is just mixed into the wet.
To Assemble the Cookies
- 1 With wet fingertips, pinch off enough dough to make a 2-inch round ball.
- 2 Roll liberally in the bowl of sugar and place on prepared cookie sheet. Continue with rest of dough, making sure you end up with an even number.
- 3 (If the dough is too sticky, simply place in refrigerator for about a half hour to firm)
- 4 With the bottom of a glass, press each dough ball flat.
- 5 Dollop a teaspoon or so of the cold date mixture in the center of half the flattened dough balls.
- 6 Place another disc of dough over the top, pressing the edges with moistened fingertips to seal.
- 7 Cut a small slash or two on top of each cookie or poke with a fork and sprinkle additional sugar on top if desired.
- 8 Bake 20 minutes in upper half of the oven.
- 9 Remove to cool slightly before transferring to platter or rack to cool completely.