This simple salad incorporates two prized ingredients of Spain. Cabrales cheese, an intensely flavored blue cheese, is produced only in four Spanish villages using traditional farmhouse methods. Marcona almonds are grown along the Mediterranean coast of Spain; these nuts are round and flat with a sweet, delicate taste.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 10 cups Bibb or butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 ounces Cabrales blue cheese or other strong blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds
- 1 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 black Mission figs, thinly sliced
- 1 In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, cheese and almonds. Set aside.
- 2 In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3 Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Divide the salad among 6 plates and arrange the figs on top.
- 4 Serve immediately.