This Finnish Oven Pear Pancake is perfect for breakfast with its custardy texture and crisp edges. Try other fruits such as apples, bananas, fresh peaches or even a berry of your liking.
- As needed Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup evaporated skim or whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pear
- Vanilla-Cinnamon Sauce if desired
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Preheat oven to 375-degrees F. Liberally coat the bottom and sides of a 9- to 10-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 2 In a large bowl, whisk flour, 1/4 cup sugar, milk, eggs, baking powder and cinnamon until smooth. Pour into prepared skillet.
- 3 Peel pear, core, halve vertically and thinly slice. Arrange in a concentric circle on top of pancake batter.
- 4 Sprinkle remaining sugar over the top and bake 18-20 minutes, or until the edges have risen and the center feels firm.
- 5 Remove from oven to cut into wedges to serve. Top with Vanilla Cinnamon Sauce if desired.
- 1 Make sauce while pancake is cooking.
- 2 Combine ingredients and in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking until smooth. Bring to scalding, whisking almost constantly.
- 3 After a few minutes, when it begins to thicken, continually whisk until sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes once it has started to scald.
- 4 Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla before serving.