This recipe for Fresh Greens and Cherry Salad with a Warm Goat Cheese is from Janice W. Thomas of the Savory Spoon Cooking School in Door County, Wisconsin.
It’s one of the stops made by The Food Channel on a recent visit to Door County, hosted by the Door County Visitor’s Bureau. It is reprinted with permission. Find other stories in the series here.
Photos by Paul K. Logsdon.
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- To taste salt and pepper
- ¾ cup (about 3 ounces) sliced almonds
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 (11-ounce) log soft fresh goat cheese, cut crosswise into 6 rounds
- 6 cups (packed) mixed baby greens or baby spinach
- 1 cup halved pitted fresh cherries
- ½ cup 2 x ¼-inch fresh fennel bulb
- 1 Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- 2 Whisk first five ingredients in small bowl.
- 3 Season dressing generously with salt and pepper.
- 4 Spread almonds on a plate.
- 5 Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl; sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.
- 6 Turn goat cheese rounds in egg mixture, then coat with sliced almonds, covering all sides.
- 7 Place cheese rounds on rimmed baking sheet.
- 8 Bake goat cheese rounds until cheese is warm but NOT melted, about 10 minutes.
- 9 Combine greens, cherries, and fennel in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- 10 Divide salad among plates. Place one cheese round on each plate.