Salsa mexicana is the reigning condiment of Mexico. The clean flavor and texture of freshly prepared vegetables are essential to this relishlike salsa of hand-chopped tomatoes, crisp white onions, and fiery green chiles, all mixed together with cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma.com
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 In a bowl, toss together the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chiles, and lime juice.
- 2 Sprinkle with salt and toss again.
- 3 If the salsa is too dry, add a splash of water.
- 4 Cover and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle, then serve immediately. Makes 2 cups.