Recipe Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
A slushy blend of sweetened fresh lemon juice and ice, frozen lemonade has been a popular summer tradition in Rhode Island and Massachusetts since the early 1900s. Over the years, the thirst-quenching beverage has inspired delicious variations. This version includes blackberries, but you could use strawberries, raspberries or blueberries for equally tasty results.
Click here for Simple Syrup recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 teaspooon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons simple syrup (see related recipe in "Additional Info")
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, juiced (about 1/3 cup), plus more blackberries for garnish
- 4 1/2 cups ice cubes
- 4 fresh mint sprigs
- 1 In a small bowl, stir together the 1 1/4 cups lemon juice, the orange juice and the 3/4 cup simple syrup. Set aside.
- 2 In another small bowl, stir together the blackberry juice, the 1 teaspoon lemon juice and the 2 tablespoons simple syrup. Set aside.
- 3 Put the ice cubes in a blender and add the lemon juice mixture. Using the ice crush feature of the blender or high speed, blend until smooth.
- 4 Put 1 tablespoon of the blackberry puree into each of 4 glasses. Pour in the frozen lemonade, dividing evenly. Garnish each with a mint sprig and a few blackberries. Serve immediately.