Baby carrots, seasoned with sweet and spicy crystallized ginger, glazed in butter and honey, and then served on a bed of mint, are a beautiful accompaniment to roast lamb or chicken. Use a fragrant honey, such as orange blossom, thyme or tarragon. If you cannot find baby carrots, peel and cut slender full-size carrots into 2-inch lengths.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 pound small, thin carrots, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 Preheat an oven to 400°F.
- 3 Put the butter in a roasting pan just large enough to hold the carrots in a single layer and place in the preheating oven. Watch carefully to prevent burning. When the butter has melted, remove the pan from the oven and stir in the honey and crystallized ginger. Add the carrots and stir to coat them evenly. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the chopped mint. Stir again, then spread the carrots out in a single layer.
- 5 Roast the carrots, stirring 2 or 3 times, until golden, glazed and tender when pierced with a fork, 35 to 45 minutes.
- 7 Remove the pan from the oven and season the carrots with salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon mint and the lemon juice and toss to coat. Make a bed of the mint sprigs on a platter and top with the carrots. Serve immediately.