Fried potatoes and scrambled eggs with red and green enchilada sauce make a tasty breakfast or dinner casserole. You can find mild or medium Hatch brand chile sauces at most supermarkets.
This recipe was created for Idaho Potato by Chef David Wooley of CD Culinary Approach.
Chef Wooley began his career at his father’s Italian restaurant and then cooked at various locations throughout high school. He apprenticed at one the best, Disneyworld’s Chef Apprentice Program, then worked at a number of Disney’s four- and five star restaurants.
He then moved to La Venezia Café as opening sous chef and contributed several of his dessert recipes to the restaurant’s book, The Coffee and Tea Lover’s Cookbook. Wooley spent several years as Corporate Executive Chef for Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, perfecting current menu items, as well as creating new menu sensations. He currently owns CD Culinary Approach, a consulting company that works with a variety of clients developing menu concepts, sourcing product and rolling out new menus.
- 2 lbs. Idaho® Russet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion (4 oz.), vertically sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 12 corn tortillas (6-7 inch diameter)
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup jarred red enchilada sauce
- 1 jar (15 oz.) green chile enchilada sauce
- 1 lb. chorizo (optional), cooked, drained well, crumbled
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
Lime Crema Ingredients:
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt, to taste
Directions for enchilada fillings:
- 1 Peel potatoes and cut lengthwise, then crosswise ¼-inch thick. Immerse in water until ready to use; drain thoroughly before cooking.
- 2 In a large skillet, cook onion in butter and oil over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes until softened but not browned. Add potatoes and cook on medium stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender-firm, 25-30 minutes.
- 3 Cook eggs in a skillet with a little oil until softly scrambled. Set aside.
- 4 Fry tortillas one at a time in hot oil, just until tortilla starts to bubble. Do not crisp. Drain well on paper towel.
Directions for building enchiladas:
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Pour the red enchilada sauce in a shallow dish. Dip one tortilla in sauce.
- 3 Fill with about 1/3 cup cooked potatoes, ¼ cup scrambled eggs, 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese, and crumbled chorizo if using. Roll tortilla tightly and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- 4 Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- 5 Pour green enchilada sauce over enchiladas.
- 6 Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes until bubbly.
- 7 Sprinkle with sliced green onion.
- 8 For Lime Crema, stir together sour cream and lime juice. Salt to taste. Drizzle over enchiladas.