A member of the mackerel family, tuna is a large fish with rich, oily, firm flesh. This recipe calls for ahi tuna, also known as yellowfin, a variety that is slightly more flavorful than the mild-tasting albacore. Tuna takes well to grilling.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1/3 cup chinablue sesame soy sauce
- 4 ahi tuna steaks, each 6 oz. and 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Divide the sesame soy sauce between 2 small bowls; reserve 1 bowl for serving.
- 2 Brush the tuna steaks with 2 tablespoons of the sauce and arrange them on the pan. Grill, turning once and basting often with the sauce, until the tuna is well browned on both sides, about 8 minutes total for medium-rare.
- 3 Serve immediately and pass the reserved bowl of sauce at the table.