Asparagus takes readily to brief grilling, which adds a mild smoky undertone to the vegetable’s nutty, sweet flavor. Combined with smoked salmon, grilled asparagus is a singular beginning to a Sunday brunch or a candlelit dinner on a patio or deck.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- FOR THE TARRAGON MAYONNAISE: 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1/2 pound smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 To make the tarragon mayonnaise, place the mayonnaise in a bowl. Add the tarragon, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2 Break off any tough stem ends from the asparagus, then trim the ragged ends with a knife. Bring a fry pan three-fourths full of water to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus and boil for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold running water until cool and drain again.
- 3 Prepare a fire in a grill or preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Place the asparagus directly on the grill rack or in a grill basket on the rack, or place them in the grill pan. Cook, turning as needed, until lightly marked with grill lines and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- 4 To serve, make a bed of the smoked salmon slices on 4 individual plates, dividing the salmon evenly. Arrange the grilled asparagus on top of the salmon along with some tarragon mayonnaise, dividing evenly. Garnish with the lemon wedges.