Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
This crispy garlicky bread is great with a dip or spread — and equally delicious by itself.
8 appetizer servings
Facts per Serving
Calories: 94 Fat, Total: 4g Carbohydrates, Total: 13g
Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 155mg Protein: 2g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 38% % Cal. from Carbs: 55%
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 8 pieces soft lavash or thin flour tortilla
- Kosher salt
- MECHOUIA: 12 ounces fresh poblano chiles
- 1 3/4 pounds green bell peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon small capers, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tabil
- TABIL: 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Preheat indoor or outdoor grill over medium-high heat.
- 2 Mix oil, garlic, parsley and pepper in small bowl. Working in batches, lightly brush 1 side of lavash with garlic oil. Place lavash oiled side down on grill. Brush other side with garlic oil. Cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- 3 Lavash may also be baked in a 450º F oven.
- 4 Working in batches, lightly brush both sides of lavash with garlic oil. Place lavash on large baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Bake until light brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- 5 Break grilled or baked lavash into quarters and place in serving basket. Serve with Mechouia.
- 6 MECHOUIA: Char chiles and bell peppers over gas flame until blackened on all sides.
- 7 Enclose chiles and peppers in plastic bag. Cool slightly. Stem, seed and peel skins. Transfer chiles and bell peppers to food processor. Using on/off turns, process until finely chopped. Transfer pepper mixture to large bowl. Set aside.
- 8 Preheat broiler.
- 9 Place tomatoes and garlic on small baking sheet. Broil until tomatoes softened, about 3 minutes.
- 10 Peel and crush garlic; transfer to processor. Stem, peel and seed tomatoes. Add to processor. Pulse to puree.
- 11 Stir tomato mixture, tabil, salt and lemon juice into pepper mixture in large bowl. Gradually mix in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into shallow dish. Sprinkle capers over. Serve at room temperature.
- 12 TABIL: Combine, store in airtight container in cool, dark place.