Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Plump shrimp in a spicy marinade are a quick and easy appetizer. If you don’t have access to a grill, a broiler works just as well. Plan ahead because the shrimp need to marinate overnight.
8 appetizer servings
Facts per Serving
Calories: 148 Fat, Total: 4g Carbohydrates, Total: 21g
Cholesterol: 32mg Sodium: 195mg Protein: 7g
Fiber: 3g % Cal. from Fat: 24% % Cal. from Carbs: 57%
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, chopped
- 2 serrano chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 24 large shrimp, cleaned, deveined
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- SWEET TOMATO CHUTNEY (see recipe in Prep steps) Fresh cilantro leaves and serrano chiles, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 serrano chile
- 29 ounces canned peeled whole tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons jaggery or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Panch Puran (see recipe)
- PANCH PURAN:
- 1/4 cup whole fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed green cardamom seeds
- 1 GRILLED SPICY SHRIMP WITH SWEET TOMATO CHUTNEY: Pulse ginger, chiles and cilantro in food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to large glass bowl. Add shrimp and stir to coat well. Sprinkle turmeric over. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2 Sprinkle shrimp with salt. Heat grill over high heat. Grill shrimp until opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side. Arrange shrimp on platter. Garnish with cilantro and serrano chiles. Serve with Sweet Tomato Chutney.
- 3 SWEET TOMATO CHUTNEY: Heat oil in heavy small saucepan over high heat until very hot. Add chiles and saute until beginning to brown. Add Panch Puran. Cover pan and cook 30 seconds, shaking pan frequently.
- 4 Add tomatoes, sugar and jaggery. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until liquid reduces and mixture thickens, about 25 minutes. Add vinegar and cool. Serve at room temperature.
- 5 DO AHEAD: Chutney can be made 1 week ahead. Store in airtight container and refrigerate.
- 6 PANCH PURAN: Combine and store in an airtight container.