Grilling year-round continues to grow in popularity. Put your grill to use with this recipe for Grilled Steak Tacos with Poblano-Mango Salsa featuring the flavorful sweetness of steak, enhanced by mango, with the fiery addition of poblano peppers.
Recipe and image courtesy of the National Mango Board.
- 1 pound top sirloin steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 2 medium poblano peppers
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 small corn tortillas (6- to 7-inch diameter)
- Optional fresh cilantro sprigs
- Optional lime wedges
- 1 Place peppers and onion slices on grill over medium, ash-covered coals (over medium heat on preheated gas grill). Grill, covered, 15-20 minutes or until onion is tender and pepper skins are blackened, turning occasionally. Place peppers in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Set peppers and onion aside.
- 2 Meanwhile combine garlic and cumin; press evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 13-16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 8-13 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove; keep warm.
- 3 Remove and discard skins, stems and seeds from peppers when cool enough to handle. Chop peppers and onion. Combine chopped vegetables, mango, chopped cilantro, lime juice and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- 4 Place tortillas on grill. Grill, uncovered, 30 seconds on each side or until heated through and lightly browned.
- 5 Carve steaks into slices. Season with additional salt, as desired. Top tortillas with equal amounts of beef and mango salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges, if desired.
- 6 Note: One pound beef shoulder center (ranch) steaks, cut 3/4- inch thick, may be substituted for top sirloin steak. Grill shoulder center steaks, covered, over medium, ash-covered coals 9-11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 8-11 minutes) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.