Vegetable Escalivada, or Spanish Grilled Vegetables, are caramelized roasted vegetables that have been cooked in a homemade sherry and balsamic vinaigrette.
Plate your Grilled Vegetable Escalivada on a serving platter to create an array of color, then drizzle with the vinaigrette dressing for the best presentation!
Recipe and image provided by the National Onion Association.
For the Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Vegetables
- 2 medium onions, cut into thick wedges
- 14 asparagus spears, thin
- 6 yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise
- 1 eggplant, cut into thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 Whisk together all ingredients. Makes about 1 cup.
- 1 If desired, grill grate may be covered with aluminum foil prior to heating. Brush cut vegetables with olive oil and place onto grill 4 to 6 inches over medium ash-covered coals.
- 2 Grill for 10 to 20 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time. Vegetables are done when tender and slightly charred.