We found this interesting Krusteaz® Cinnamon Fire Cupcake mix and decided to hack it a bit–ending up with this fabulous variation on an apple pie. There’s nothing easier than taking a mix and making it your own.
- 1 1/4 cups unpeeled apple (we used Gala), finely diced
- 1/2 cup cinnamon whiskey (season your own by taking whiskey and soaking a cinnamon stick in it overnight)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 21-ounce can of prepared apple pie filling
- Krusteaz® Cinnamon Fire Cupcake mix:
- 1 pouch pecans provided in mix
- 1 pouch baking mix provided
- 1 pouch cinnamon topping mix provided
- Additional pecans if desired
- 1 Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with baking cups or use small mason jars, lightly greased and placed on a flat baking sheet.
- 2 Chop apples and soak in prepared cinnamon whiskey for 15 minutes.
- 3 Drain and set apples aside, but reserve liquid separately; soak the pecans in the liquid.
- 4 Stir together the water, egg, baking mix and half of the cinnamon topping and blend well.
- 5 Fold in drained apples (do not add the whiskey to the batter).
- 6 Meanwhile mash the pie filling so there are fewer large chunks.
- 7 Spoon about 2 tablespoons of pie filling into the prepared cups or mason jars.
- 8 Spoon prepared batter over the top of the pie filling.
- 9 Sprinkle remaining cinnamon topping over batter, about 1-2 teaspoons per muffin.
- 10 Gently press in topping with back of spoon.
- 11 Bake 23-27 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12 Drain pecans while allowing muffins to cool.
- 13 Sprinkle pecans over the hot muffins and press in with back of spoon.
- 14 (Note: we supplemented with a few extra pecans that had not been soaked).