Hasselback this and Hasselback that….EVERYONE is on the Hasselback bandwagon. Now my turn!
I adore this dish and I think you will as well. Cheesy, smoky, crispy goodness between every slice of sweet tomatoes.
Note: prep time does not include time for drying biscuits.
- 8 large plum tomatoes
- 1/4 pound shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 pound shredded Provolone cheese
- 1 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 cup pure olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried biscuit crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic in oil
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1 Preheat broiler, making sure rack is at least 3 inches from heat source.
- 2 Slice each tomato very thinly on one side so it is able to sit up on a foil-lined baking pan without rolling. Now thinly slice each tomato into 1/4-inch slices; set aside.
- 3 Add cheeses, basil, olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly. While separating each slice of each tomato, carefully stuff with equal amounts of cheese mixture.
- 4 In a small bowl, mix biscuit crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle over each stuffed tomato.
- 5 Place tomatoes on broiler rack and cook for about 3 minutes, checking often, or until the top is nicely browned. Remove from broiler, turn heat off and immediately place in oven.
- 6 Allow tomatoes to continue cooking in the residual heat in the oven from the broiler for at least 5 minutes, or until hot throughout, not allowing tomatoes to get too soft.
- 7 Remove from oven and serve immediately.