Using a heart-shaped cutter, we’ve transformed the classic Monte Cristo sandwich into a romantic treat that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day or an anniversary celebration.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma Kitchen
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 slices country-style or homemade bread, each 1 1⁄2 inches thick
- 8 thin slices ham
- 4 thin slices Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- Raspberry preserves for serving
- 1 Preheat an electric panini press according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- 2 In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, nutmeg, brown sugar and salt until blended. Pour into a shallow baking dish.
- 3 Using a small, sharp knife, cut a slit in one long side of each bread slice.
- 4 Stuff 2 slices ham and 1 slice cheese in each pocket and press gently to close. Place the stuffed bread in the egg mixture and soak for 2 minutes per side.
- 5 If desired, lightly brush the panini press with butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the bread on the press and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions until crisp and golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 6 Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut each one into a heart shape using a heart toast cutter. Serve immediately with raspberry preserves.