Homemade Chocolate Almond Ice Cream Recipe – Custard style ice cream that just takes a little extra work. One taste and you’ll say it was worth it!. Adapted from a recipe found at Allrecipes.com.
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 ounces Ghirardelli baking chocolate, shaved
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups toasted almonds
- 1 Combine sugar, milk, salt and cocoa powder in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring continually. Bring to a simmer, without boiling.
- 2 Take the egg yolks and beat them slightly in a separate small bowl; stir about 3/4 cup of the hot chocolate liquid into the egg yolks bowl.
- 3 Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remainder of the chocolate mixture.
- 4 Heat until mixture is thick, but do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in the shaved chocolate.
- 5 Pour into a glass bowl and refrigerate for about two hours, stirring occasionally.
- 6 After mixture is chilled, stir in the 4 cups of cream and the vanilla. Pour all into an ice cream maker and freeze according to your ice maker directions.
- 7 Note: Generally you put the container in the bucket, with the dasher inside. Place the motor over the ice cream can cover, and plug it in. While it's running, layer ice and rock salt--about 2 inches of ice, then 1/4 cup of rock salt, over and over until you have ice on the top. Be sure churn is moving while you add ice, or it may not start properly.
- 8 Meanwhile, toast almonds (spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes); let them cool. Once ice cream maker stops churning, add almonds to the churned ice cream. Put ice cream into containers and freeze for later use.