This recipe for Honey Roasted Nuts will bring the scents of the holidays into your kitchen and give you a great snack item or gift idea.
- 3 cups mixed nuts (such as pecans and slivered almonds)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt or sea salt to finish
- 1 Preheat the oven to 300˚F.
- 2 In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine all the ingredients and cook on the stove over low heat, folding slowly with a wooden spoon, until the honey and butter are well blended, and the nuts start to roast evenly and smell very aromatic, about 5 minutes.
- 3 Immediately spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake in the oven until the nuts are roasted, fragrant, and amber colored, about 20 to 25 minutes, rotating once during baking time.
- 4 It is very important to roast the nuts for that amount of time, or they will be sticky and not crunchy enough. Remove from the oven and cool completely at room temperature.
- 5 Break the nuts into small clusters.
- 6 Salt with a coarse grained sea or kosher salt before serving.
- 7 Store in a plastic container with a tight-fitting cover in a cool and dry place for up to 3 weeks.