If you love cornbread and are looking for a simple, yet flavorful, option, this recipe from the National Honey Board is just for you.
Made in a cast-iron skillet with self-rising cornmeal, creamed corn, buttermilk and honey, it’s delicious served with honey and butter or your favorite spread.
Add 4 pieces of chopped bacon to the batter for an extra-special treat!
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup creamed corn
- 1-1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for skillet
- For Serving Honey and butter
- 1 Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2 Swirl the 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the cast iron skillet and place in the oven to heat, watch that it doesn't start to smoke.
- 3 Mix the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl.
- 4 In a second bowl combine the next 5 ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients with the dry until just combined. Batter will be lumpy, don't over-mix.
- 5 Open the oven and drop a teaspoon of batter into the hot skillet and make sure it is heated enough to sizzle. Carefully pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden brown.
- 6 Cut into slices and serve with additional honey and butter.