Colder weather is most definitely perfect for soups, but I enjoy them every day I can. Especially fun is experimenting with the different flavors and comfort foods of different cultures. And those often happen to be soups.
The Chefs at Iberostar Hotels & Resorts have shared a couple of their favorite Mexican soup favorites for you to try at home. This recipe for Iberostar Mexico’s Tortilla Soup is made with fried tortillas, filled with traditional Mexican soup—easy to make and full of sabor (flavor).
It reflects the Chefs’ dedication to provide high-quality dining experiences that are deeply rooted in Mexican cultural heritage.
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 fresh epazote or coriander leaves
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 pasilla chiles
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup queso fresco
- ½ cup sour cream
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- As needed vegetable oil for frying
- 1 Roast the garlic cloves, onion and tomatoes in the oven.
- 2 Grind the roasted ingredients and add ¼ cup of chicken broth and one pasilla chile.
- 3 Fry the ground mixture in oil over high heat for 2 minutes in a large pot and then leave it on low heat for five more minutes or until obtaining a thick mixture.
- 4 Add the remaining chicken broth, epazote leaves and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5 Leave the broth on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 6 Cut the corn tortillas in “Julienne” strips and fry them in oil.
- 7 Cut one pasilla chile into rings and fry in oil.
- 8 Place the fried tortilla and pasilla chile in a deep dish and add the tomato sauce.
- 9 Add the sour cream and fresh cheese and garnish with sliced avocado.