Jambalaya is a staple dish in the South, but we bet you’ve never heard of it Italian-style!
In this recipe, Chef Ace Champion combines a creamy risotto with the classic and authentic Jambalaya to create a vibrant and mouthwatering new way to enjoy risotto.
Want to see how it’s done? Click here to see the how-to video!
This recipe is in conjunction with a delicious date night meal. To see the rest of this three-course meal, click the links below:
- 2 cups Cajun risotto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or desired cooking oil
- 1/4 cup andouille sausage, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet red onion, small diced
- 1/4 cup celery, small diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, small diced
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
- 1/3 cup cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion, for garnish
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, trimmed
- 1 Make risotto according to box directions.
- 2 Once cooked, add 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream to the risotto to make it extra creamy. Set aside.
- 3 In the same skillet add the oil and turn the heat over medium-high heat.
- 4 When the oil is hot (about 45 seconds) add it the sausage and cook stirring often for about 2 minutes. Add the onion and mix.
- 5 Add the celery then mix. Add the bell pepper then mix. Allow to cook until vegetables are slightly tender (about 2 minutes).
- 6 Remove from heat. Last, add the garlic and tomatoes and allow to cook for about 1 more minute.
- 7 Note: by adding these ingredients one at a time it allows your temperature to maintain by not overcrowding. In a large bowl or baking dish add the rice and jambalaya mix together and mix well using a large spoon or wooden spatula.
- 8 Presentation. Serve as a round mold using a deep round cookie cutter. You can serve this recipe as a side dish an entrée.