Kick off the New Year with a nutrient-dense bang!
This Latin Idaho® Potato Power Bowl is a mouthwatering combination of crispy pork carnitas, zesty salsa verde, grilled corn and cumin dusted potato wedges. It’s everything your taste buds are calling for.
This recipe is courtesy of our friends at the Idaho Potato Commission and is one of several we’ll share throughout the year—at different seasons, and for different occasions. This recipe was created by food blogger Kita Roberts.
- 1 ear corn, husk and silk removed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 russet Idaho® potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked roasted pork, chopped or shredded
- 1 plantain, peeled and sliced into 1/4" pieces
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans
- Guacamole and salsa verde, for serving
- 1 Brush the corn with 1 tablespoon olive oil and grill the corn over high heat 10-15 minutes, until golden with a few char marks on all side.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- 3 In a large bowl, toss the potato wedges with the olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Spread 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the prepared baking sheet and allow it to heat in the oven for 5-7 minutes, until just smoking. Carefully, arrange potatoes on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping once, halfway through cook time.
- 4 Meanwhile, line an additional baking sheet with foil. Toss the pork in 1 tablespoon oil and arrange in a flat layer on the sheet. Place on the bottom rack in the oven and cook until crispy, flipping once halfway through cook time.
- 5 In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the sliced plantains in the oil and cook 5 minutes. Flip and cook another 5 minutes. Remove and place over a paper towel to drain. Place each slice back in the oil for another 5-8 minutes, flipping once more. Remove from skillet and place over a fresh paper towel. Season with salt.
- 6 Arrange the wedges in the bowl with the arugula. Remover the corn from the cob and divide into each bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes, red onion, black beans, crispy carnita pork, and fried plantains to each bowl. Serve with salsa verde and fresh guacamole on the side to mix in.