Lemon Chicken Salad Sandwiches Recipe – Delicate sandwiches make an impressive presentation for an afternoon tea. Filled with lemony chicken salad, these sandwiches are easy to pick up with fingers and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee. Serve them with a selection of muffins, scones, and toast with butter and an assortment of jams. Shortbread and tea cookies are also good accompaniments.
Recipe Courtesy of Williams-Sonoma. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma “Essentials of Breakfast and Brunch”, by Georgeanne Brannan, Elinor Klivans, Jordan Mackay and Charles Pierce (Oxmoor House, 2007).
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, each about 6 ounces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, plus more for serving
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, white only
- 20 thin slices sandwich bread
- 1 Put the chicken breasts in a small fry pan and add cold water to cover. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is opaque throughout, 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool. Using your fingers or 2 forks, pull the chicken into shreds.
- 2 In a bowl, whisk together the 1/2 cup mayonnaise, the lemon juice, celery and green onions until blended and smooth. Fold in the chicken.
- 3 Trim the crusts from the bread slices. Spread each of the slices with mayonnaise. Divide the chicken mixture among 10 of the slices. Put the remaining bread slices on top and press gently. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal. Arrange the sandwiches on a platter and serve immediately.
- 4 Makes 10 sandwiches.