Lemon meringue pie is a sweet and tart dessert.
Recipe courtesy of Joann Harwell of Ugly Crust Pies.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks (reserve the whiles for meringue)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 baked and cooled 9-inch pie crust
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan and set aside.
- 2 Combine egg yolks, water and lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients.
- 3 Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- 4 Stir in butter and lemon zest. Spoon into pastry shell.
- 5 Spread meringue over hot filling.
- 6 Bake at 350ºF 12-15 minutes until meringue is golden brown.
- 7 Cool completely before serving.