Recipe for Lemon Swirl Cream Cheese Pie. This is the American Pie Council/Crisco National Pie Championships 2010 Best of Show Amateur Winner. This recipe was created by Kate Stewart Rovner of Plano, TX.
Recipe courtesy of American Pie Council
The American Pie Council suggests that you honor a community hero on National Pie Day with the gift of a freshly-baked pie. Read our story about National Pie Day.
- LEMON CURD: 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small cubes
- VANILLA WAFER CRUMB CRUST: 1 1/2 cup vanilla wafer crumbs
- 3/4 cup almonds, finely ground and toasted
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- LEMON CREAM CHEESE FILLING: 2 (8 ounces) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Reserved Lemon Curd
- GARNISH: 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- About 12-15 fresh raspberries
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices and quartered
- 1 PREPARE LEMON CURD: in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar.
- 2 Whisk in eggs and butter. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking frequently for 7 minutes or until curd is thick. Remove from heat and use a food mill or sieve to strain curd into a small bowl. Remove 1/2 cup of Lemon Curd, reserving remaining Lemon Curd. Press plastic wrap directly onto surfaces. Cool 30 minutes.
- 3 Heat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with Crisco No-Stick spray.
- 4 PREPARE VANILLA CRUMB CRUST: In a medium mixing bowl, use a fork to toss together vanilla wafer crumbs, almonds, lemon zest, and salt. Stir in melted butter. Press mixture onto bottom and sides of prepared pie plate.
- 5 Bake for 12 minutes on bottom oven rack. Remvoe from oven and set aside.
- 6 PREPARE CREAM CHEESE FILLING: In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar at medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat at low speed until incorporated. Beat in sour cream, vanilla, and lemon extract. Beat in reserved Lemon Curd. Pour into baked crust. Dollop remaining 1/2 cup Lemon Curd onto Filling and swirl into Filling with a small knife.
- 7 Bake for 30 minutes or until center is nearly set. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Cool for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 8 PREPARE GARNISH: In a chilled, medium mixing bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla with a hand-held electric mixer, starting at lwest speed and increasing gradually each minute, until stiff peaks are formed. Using a #32 tip, pipe whipped cream decoratively around border of pie. Decorate with fresh raspberries and lemon slices. Refrigerate until serving time.