With the holiday season behind us, it’s time to get back to our regular routines. That can seem like a tall order, especially getting started in the morning. It’s tempting to cut corners to save time, often by skipping breakfast.
We know breakfast is probably the most important meal of the day. Ask any school teacher if a child that’s hungry does well learning math or history. The same holds true for adults. Luckily, Dinner Reinvented’s Roni Proter comes to the rescue with her Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole. —Editor
“Fluffy eggs, crispy bacon, earthy sausage and indulgent puff pastry make this Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole the ultimate make-ahead breakfast,” she says. “If you know me at all, you know I’m not a great planner, I’m often late and it’s not uncommon for me to rush in the mornings. Mondays I try and get the week off to a good start by packing my boys’ lunches the night before, and having a yummy breakfast made.
On weekend mornings I make a big batch of something yummy, chocolate chip pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, or this breakfast casserole so I can just reheat it on weekday mornings and still give my kids a wholesome meal.”
Watch the how-to video here.
- 12 large pasture-raised eggs
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, baked and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 small sausage patties, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup divided sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces divided cooked, cherrywood-smoked, thick-cut bacon, sliced into thin strips
- 3 green onions, chopped
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1 Butter your baking dish and set the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2 Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then add the sausage, half the cheddar, half the bacon, and salt and pepper. Stir well, then add the puff pastry cubes and toss until the egg coats the entire mixture.
- 3 Place the egg mixture into the baking dish, and place the rest of the cheese on top. Then place the rest of the bacon slices on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4 Top with chopped green onions. Allow to cool completely before cutting into large squares.
- 5 Serve or freeze individually for quick breakfasts on the go!