Mango Cream Pie Recipe. In celebration of National Pie Day on January 23, 2011, the American Pie Council presents the 2010 Best of Show/Junior Chef category. This recipe was created by Devin Davis from Plant City, FL.
Recipe courtesy of American Pie Council
The American Pie Council suggests that you honor a community hero on National Pie Day with the gift of a freshly-baked pie. Read our story about National Pie Day.
- PRETZEL PIE CRUST: 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely crushed pretzels
- 1/2 cup Crisco Butter Flavored Shortening
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- CREAMY FILLING: 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- MANGO TOPPING: 1 cup boiling water
- 1 - 3 ounce package lemon flavored jello
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup ripe mango, peeled, pitted and pureed (Approximately 1 small mango)
- 2 cups ripe mango, peeled pitted and chopped (Approximately 2 large mangos)
- WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING: 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 PRETZEL PIE CRUST: Preheat oven 425ºF. Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add flour, crushed pretzels, Crisco, sugar and water. Top with cover, and process pulsing 3 or 4 seconds until dough just forms, shape into a ball. Press with floured hands to a 5 to 6 inch circle, place dough between floured wax paper and roll out, remove top piece of wax paper and flip dough into 9 inch deep dish pie plate, remove other sheet. Fit in pie plate with hands and trim access dough from around edge. Prick with fork all over sides and bottom. Bake at 425ºF for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 2 CREAMY FILLING: In medium size bowl add heavy whipping cream, and beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Then add powdered sugar and vanilla, continue beating until firm peaks form. Set aside. In separate bowl add cream cheese and sugar, blend well. Then fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Spread on bottom of pie crust and refrigerate.
- 3 MANGO TOPPING:Combine boiling water and jello, stirring until dissolved. Add sugar, pureed mango and chopped mango and stir well. Pour on top of cream filling in pie crust, return to the refrigerator and chill 3 to 4 hours. *To puree mango place mango into food processor and pulse 10 to 12 or until puree consistency. *To chop mango place in food processor and pulse 4 to 6 times.
- 4 WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:In medium size bowl add cream and beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, continue beating until firm. Spoon topping into pastry bag and decorate leaving some of the mango top showing.
- 5 *NOTE - for fast setting, put in freezer for 30 minutes then into the refrigerator until set.