Buttery-rich golden phyllo pastry is layered with a savory Mediterranean blend of Plugrá European-Style Butter, sautéed spinach seasoned with zesty spices, nutmeg, and crumbled feta cheese.
Why try? This is one delicious, buttery way to eat your spinach!
Recipe courtesy of Plugrá®
- 3 tablespoons Plugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 ounces (about 11/4 cups) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic and pepper seasoning blend, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 24 sheets (9-inch x 13–inch) phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup Plugrá European-Style Butter, unsalted, melted
- 1 FILLING:
- 2 Heat Plugrá Butter in skillet; add onions and sauté over low heat until tender. Add garlic and sauté an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until tender.
- 3 Squeeze thawed spinach to remove excess moisture. Combine with sautéed onion mixture and stir until blended.
- 4 Combine beaten egg, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, garlic pepper seasoning, salt and crushed red pepper in a bowl and stir to blend; add spinach mixture and stir until blended.
- 6 ASSEMBLY:
- 7 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8 Unroll phyllo dough and cover with plastic wrap and a lightly dampened towel, while working.
- 9 Arrange 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a flat work surface (with 9-inch wide side nearest you). Brush lightly with melted Plugrá Butter; repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo dough. Cut the phyllo dough lengthwise into 3-inch wide strips.
- 10 Place 1 heaping tablespoon of spinach filling in lower left side of each strip; Fold the corner over the filling to form a triangle. Continue to fold the triangle, similar to folding a flag, until you reach the end of the strip. Repeat with remaining 2 strips. Brush outer surfaces of phyllo triangles lightly with butter and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 11 Repeat with remaining phyllo dough.
- 12 Bake spanakopita uncovered at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.