This is a great recipe for zucchini stuffed with savory onion, yellow squash, ripe tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese. It makes for an impressive vegetable side dish—or two servings make a healthy vegetable entrée.
Why Try? The multiple steps in this recipe are well worth the effort to make this special occasion vegetable dish that’s perfect for entertaining. It’s a healthy and colorful side dish that pairs well with beef, poultry, fish, seafood or pork.
- 6 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 Preheat oven to 475F.
- 2 Using a spoon, scoop out flesh of zucchini, leaving a 1/4-inch border, forming "boats."
- 3 Chop zucchini flesh and reserve.
- 4 Brush zucchini lightly with oil and place hollowed sides down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet; bake 15 minutes.
- 5 Remove from oven; cool.
- 6 In the meantime, heat 1/4 cup oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- 7 Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper; sauté until soft about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8 Add reserved zucchini and yellow squash; sauté until liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- 9 Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- 10 Fold in Feta cheese, tomatoes, parsley and basil.
- 11 Arrange zucchini, cut sides up, in two 9 x 13 baking dishes.
- 12 Fill with squash-Feta mixture.
- 13 Bake until top is lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- 14 Serve immediately.