Mexican Wedding Cookies Recipe. Tender, melting shortbread cookies shaped like snowballs, Mexican Wedding Cookies will brighten holiday cookie trays.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ground blanched almonds
- 1 In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter on high speed until fluffy and pale yellow.
- 2 Add 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low, add the vanilla and salt, and beat until blended.
- 3 Over a sheet of waxed paper, sift together the flour and cinnamon.
- 4 Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed or stir with a wooden spoon just until blended. Stir in the almonds.
- 5 Cover and refrigerate until the dough is chilled but not hard and is no longer sticky to the touch, about 15 minutes.
- 6 Preheat an oven to 350°F. Sift the remaining 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar into a shallow bowl.
- 7 Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Place about 1 inch apart on 2 ungreased baking sheets.
- 8 Bake until the cookies are just golden on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 9 Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks and let cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cookies one at a time and roll them in the confectioners sugar. Let the cookies cool completely on wire racks.