Raisin Bread recipe. Mother’s Raisin Bread is adapted from James Beard. His mother made the bread after she tasted it at the old Palace Hotel in San Francisco, which was a popular haunt for young couples in the 1920s.
It was known for its afternoon tea dances, during which tea and sherry were served accompanied by platters of raisin bread slathered with butter. Since this loaf is mixed and baked in a bread machine, you will need to use some vital wheat gluten to help the loaf maintain its shape. This recipe is not suitable for the Delay cycle setting on your bread machine.
Makes one 1 1/2-pound loaf
Facts per Serving
Calories: 169 Fat, Total: 3g Carbohydrates, Total: 32g
Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 230mg Protein: 4g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 16% % Cal. from Carbs: 76%
Oster 2-lb. Expressbake Bread Machine
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
- 1 1/3 cups raisins
- 1/3 cup cream sherry
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Pinch of ground mace
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast or 2 teaspoons SAF instant yeast
- 1 Combine raisins, sherry, zest and mace in small bowl. Cover and let macerate overnight at room temperature. Strain any unabsorbed liquid into 2-cup glass measuring cup. Substitute soaking liquid for an equal amount of milk in dough. Set raisins aside.
- 2 Place all remaining ingredients, except reserved raisins, in bread machine in order listed. Program machine for Sweet Bread Cycle using Light Crust Setting if available; press Start. Add reserved raisins halfway through cycle (for most machines, a beep will sound at halfway point).
- 3 Transfer finished bread to wire rack. Cool to room temperature. Slice bread and serve.
- 4 NOTE: Vital wheat gluten is available in most supermarkets. Or you can substitute an equal amount of Lora Brody's Bread Dough Enhancer.
- 5 DO-AHEAD TIP: Loaf can be frozen whole, or pre-sliced. Reheat whole loaf in a preheated 300ºF oven for 10 minutes. Or toast frozen slices in toaster.