For that perfect meringue each time, try this Never Fail Meringue recipe.
Recipe courtesy of Joann Harwell of Ugly Crust Pies.
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Combine 2 tablespoons sugar with cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add water. Cover over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and clear.
- 2 In separate bowl, beat egg whites with salt and vanilla until soft mounds form.
- 3 Add sugar gradually, beating well after each addition.
- 4 Add hot mixture.
- 5 Continue beating until meringue stands in stiff peaks. Spoon over filling.
- 6 Bake at 350ºF for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.