A creamy, zesty, and delicious rhubarb-based pudding, made with freshly picked rhubarb!
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cups cane sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 In a 2 quart saucepan, heat 1 3/4 cups water and the 3/4 cup sugar, stirring occasionally, until it boils.
- 2 While boiling, stir in rhubarb, bring back to a boil then simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender - about 10 minutes.
- 3 In a small cup, combine the 1/4 cup of very cold water and the cornstarch, blending well until arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) liquefies. Stir into rhubarb mixture then heat to boiling while stirring constantly.
- 4 Boil while stirring for a full minute then add the vanilla extract. Pour into serving bowl the cover and refrigerate until chilled – about 3 to 4 hours.
- 5 Before serving, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat whipping cream until stiff then add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla, if desired.
- 6 Place cream in a decorators' piping bag and chill in refrigerator until serving pudding. To serve pudding, spoon pudding into six dessert cups then pipe with a generous topping of whipped cream.