This summer treat is now in season. Florida watermelons are grown in the western parts of the state – from north Collier County to Columbia County – watermelon from Florida is available from late March until mid-July. The peak production time is in May and early June.
Recipe courtesy of Florida Department of Agriculture.
- 1/4 medium-sized Florida watermelon, seeds and rind removed
- 1 handful fresh Florida mint leaves, chopped
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 loaf of your favorite crusty bread, sliced thin
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 Crumble chilled goat cheese into a small bowl. Lightly mix cheese and chopped mint. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
- 2 Cut bread into 8 small slices and drizzle with olive oil.
- 3 Toast bread slices until golden brown and crispy on top. Let bread cool slightly.
- 4 Spread cheese mixture on the top of each slice of bread. Cut watermelon slices into fun shapes and layer watermelon on top of cheese. Lightly season the top of the sandwiches with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.