“Tea and cake is always a winning combination… But have you tried tea IN cake?
Numi’s Orange Spice Tea is the perfect candidate for this experiment. It’s a white tea with the perfect balance of familiar baking spices—allspice, ginger, and cinnamon, and a fresh burst of citrusy flavor from the organic orange peel, lime, and lemongrass it contains.
You can infuse many baked goods with a delicate and aromatic tea flavor by simply steeping a few tea bags in whatever liquid (milk, water, cream, etc.) the recipe calls for.”
This recipe is courtesy of Numi Tea, recipe by Hannah Theisen.
For the Cake
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 Numi Fair Trade, Organic Orange Spice Tea Bags
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2 Heat milk in a small saucepan until it begins to steam a bit (but don’t let it boil!) take the hot milk off the burner and place two bags Orange Spice Tea in it to steep for 10 minutes.
- 3 While your tea is steeping, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla.
- 4 Mix flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Cut open a third tea bag and add it right to the flour and baking powder!
- 5 Remove the tea bags from the milk that you’ve had steeping and pour half the milk into your butter/sugar/egg/vanilla mixture. Then add half of your dry ingredients to the mixture. Repeat with the remaining milk and dry ingredients until everything is incorporated.
- 6 Pour your finished cake batter into a pan that you’ve prepared by buttering it thoroughly and dusting lightly with flour. I used a smaller pan and made two cakes, but you can use a normal bundt pan or even a loaf pan if you’d like tea cake slices.
- 7 Bake at 350 degrees 30-45 minutes (depending on whether you’re using two smaller pans or one large one), checking regularly until a toothpick inserted in the thickest portion of your cake comes out clean.
- 8 Once the cake is baked, let it cool for 10-15 minutes, then turn upside down onto a plate.
- 9 Mix the powdered sugar with the orange juice thoroughly, and pour over your completely cooled cake. Enjoy!