- 10 ounces haricots verts (thin French green beans) or green beans
- 1 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- 1 cup crumbled feta (about 6 ounces)
- 1 Fill a 4-quart kettle three fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil for beans and orzo.
- 2 Chop onion and mince garlic. Quarter and seed tomatoes. Cut quarters lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Trim beans and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- 3 In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in oil over moderate heat until onion is softened. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until tomatoes are softened, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- 4 Have ready a bowl of ice and cold water.
- 5 In boiling salted water blanch beans 1 minute. With a slotted spoon transfer beans to ice water to stop cooking. Drain beans well in a colander and pat dry.
- 6 Add beans to tomato mixture and return water in kettle to a boil.
- 7 Boil orzo until al dente and drain in colander.
- 8 Add orzo to bean mixture with vinegar, parsley, feta, and salt and pepper to taste, tossing to combine well.