Vegetable Brown Rice – To help combat America’s massive deficiency in vegetable consumption, Birds Eye has teamed up with the Meal Makeover Moms to offer delicious vegetable recipes kids will love and easy cooking tips for busy adults.
Recipe from the cookbook No Whine with Dinner by Janice Bissex and Liz Weiss.
Read our interview with Janice Bissex and see which U.S. states eat the most/least vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, optional
- 2 cups all-natural vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground balck pepper
- 1 Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes.
- 2 Stir in the rice and thyme as desired, and cook, stirring a few times, for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, raise the heat, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed, 40 to 45 minutes.
- 3 Remove from the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. Sitr in the corn and peas, replace the cover, and let stand an additional 5 to 10 minutes.