Passover Lemon Sponge Cake with Strawberry-Kiwi Compote Recipe – A light chiffon-like cake with a colorful compote.
Facts per Serving
Calories: 318 Fat, Total: 6g Carbohydrates, Total: 61g
Cholesterol: 213mg Sodium: 181mg Protein: 8g
Fiber: 4g % Cal. from Fat: 17% % Cal. from Carbs: 77%
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
- FOR THE CAKE: 10 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Passover cake meal
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- FOR THE COMPOTE: 2 pounds strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 8 ripe kiwi, peeled, quartered, sliced
- 3 (or more) tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Non-dairy whipped topping (optional)
- 1 FOR THE CAKE: Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- 2 Line bottom of 10-inch angel food cake pan with parchment paper.
- 3 Using an electric stand mixer and whisk attachment, beat egg yolks in large bowl until thick and pale. Add sugar and beat until thick and tripled in volume, about 5 minutes. Beat in juice, peel and salt. Using electric stand mixer and clean dry whisk attachment, beat egg whites in another large metal bowl until stiff but not dry.
- 4 Sift cake meal and potato starch over yolk mixture. Using rubber spatula, fold in gently but thoroughly. Fold in egg whites.
- 5 Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until cake is golden brown and springs back when gently touched, about 1 hour. Invert cake and cool completely. Run small sharp knife around cake edges to loosen. Invert cake onto platter.
- 6 DO-AHEAD TIP: Cake can be prepared 2 days ahead. Wrap with plastic. Store at room temperature.
- 7 FOR THE COMPOTE: Combine berries and kiwi in large bowl. Add enough sugar to sweeten to taste. Stir in mint. Let stand 30 minutes to 2 hours at room temperature.
- 8 Using a large serrated knife, slice cake into wedges. Transfer wedges to plates. Spoon compote over. Top with non-dairy whipped topping and serve.