Swap out pizza dough for shredded potatoes to make this Patatas Bravas Hash Brown Crust pizza. This crispy, gluten-free crust is topped with a smoky Romesco sauce and lots of cheese. It’s a perfect game-day food!
For the Crust
- 3 lbs. Idaho® Norkotah or Russet Burbank Potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded manchego cheese
For the Romesco Sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained (or 2 whole peppers)
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 large tomato, cored, seeded and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 slice firm, white bread (like a country-style loaf), about 1-inch thick, cubed (roughly 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons smoked, spanish Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup fruity, Spanish olive oil (I used Arbequina olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded manchego cheese
- 6 ounces jamon serrano (sub prosciutto if you cant find), torn into small pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bread, tomato and garlic on a small baking sheet and roast for 8 – 10 minutes. Add almonds to baking sheet and roast for an additional 8 minutes, just until almonds are lightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside. Increase oven temp to 400°F.
- 2 Fill a medium bowl with cold water. Shred potatoes, either with a food processor or by hand on a box grater. Immediately place shredded potatoes into water. Drain and rinse under running water until water runs clear. Place a few handfuls of potatoes in a clean kitchen towel and wring dry. Repeat until all of the potatoes are dry.
- 3 In a medium bowl, toss potatoes with canola oil, salt and cheese. Spread potatoes on a large, parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 45-50 minutes, until crispy and browned.
- 4 While potatoes are roasting, make the sauce: Remove garlic cloves from paper skins and place into the bowl of a food processor with roasted peppers, almonds, tomato, vinegar, bread, paprika, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Pulse 5-7 times to break up the peppers and bread. Slowly stream in olive oil while food processor is running, until sauce is smooth.
- 5 Spread sauce on hash brown crust, top with shredded manchego cheese, scallions and jamón serrano.
- 6 Return to oven for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned.
- 1 Rinsing the potatoes to remove starch helps to keep the hash browns crispy. Wringing out the water will help them to brown and get that delicious crunchy crust.
- 2 To get a bit of char on the scallions, turn on the broiler for 5 minutes. It will brown the cheese a bit more, give the edges of the meat an extra crisp and scallions a smoky flavor.
- 3 You will not find manchego pre-shredded. A one-pound piece will be sufficient for this recipe.
- 4 To keep this recipe gluten-free, omit bread from sauce.