Looking for an impressive, yet simple appetizer for upcoming holiday party-themed content? Bacon wrapped scallop skewers make an excellent finger food for party guests. Fresh scallops are paired with succulent bacon and accented by Chef Michael LaDuke’s signature Peach Bourbon BBQ glaze to create sweet and smoky holiday hors d’oeuvres everyone will love.
Try this recipe courtesy of Red Lobster, adapted from Red Lobster’s brand new Wood-Fire Grill menu.
Here’s a video featuring Red Lobster Senior Executive Chef Michael LaDuke explaining how to do wood-fire grilling at home.
Makes 6 skewers (with 4 scallops per skewer).
- 24 each scallops
- 6 each two-prong metal skewer for scallops
- Olive Oil
- 24 each Bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peach Bourbon BBQ sauce (see below)
- For Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce: 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup ripe fresh or frozen peaches (peeled, seeded and chopped), or substitute peach preserves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 Wrap one piece of bacon around each scallop and place four scallops on a one two-pronged skewer so they don't turn. Repeat with remaining skewers.
- 2 Brush both sides of the scallops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 3 Place the scallops on a medium hot grill. Keep an eye on them because they will cook quickly and you don't want to burn them.
- 4 Grill scallops for approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Take them off the grill when they are about 80 percent done.
- 5 Add the Peach Bourbon BBQ sauce during the last moments of cooking or when the cooking is complete for added flavor.
- 6 Peach Bourbon BBQ Sauce Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan.
- 7 Bring to a simmer while stirring for 8-10 minutes, allowing the alcohol to cook down.
- 8 Cool and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth.