This is a dish I am asked to make and bring to summer BBQs more often than any other. It’s the kind of dish that becomes an instant family favorite; filled with flavor, easy on the budget, perfect to make a day ahead and a cinch to make! I usually double the recipe because everyone seems to go back for seconds, even thirds and it’s great to have on hand in the fridge for hungry kids to help themselves!
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil plus extra for drizzling on tomatoes prior to baking
- 8 ounces mozzarella cubed
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped
- ½ pound penne
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Salt & pepper to taste prior to serving
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet.
- 3 Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- 4 Toss gently with your hands to coat with the olive oil.
- 5 Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- 6 Cool for 10 minutes.
- 7 In a large bowl combine tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil, vinegar and basil.
- 8 Set aside at room temperature while you make the pasta.
- 9 Bring a large pot of water to the boil, add salt and penne.
- 10 When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the tomatoes.
- 11 Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper.